If you’ve only recently caught the pickleball bug, then you’re likely having a hard time choosing the right ball to use on the court. The balls used for this sport are curious little things. These hollow plastic balls resemble wiffle balls but are slightly rounder, heavier, and bigger. They also have round holes drilled on the body instead of slits.
Truth be told, are the same. For one, there’s a difference between balls used for outdoor and indoor play. Outdoor balls tend to be harder and have smaller holes while indoor balls are the opposite. Moreover, while the specifications tend to be standardized across brands, there are still slight differences in manufacturing that can affect how the balls perform on the court.
The balls for pickleball are often categorized according to different factors like USAPA approval, color, material, play type, surface, and bounce height. However, when shopping for pickle ball balls, here are some features you should always look out for.
- Durability – Pickleball can be a pretty action-packed game and you’ll be surprised at how much wear and tear balls go through every game. While balls will definitely not last forever, you should still choose balls that can withstand all the paddle and ground hits without splitting easily.
- Build – The truth is not all pickleball balls are created equal. Some are simply built better than others. Look for balls that are made of thick and smooth plastic with evenly spaced holes.
- Consistency – A great pickleball should react the same way when hit at a specific speed. This feature will help you play better at the court because you will always have predictable hits every time.
- Touch – This can refer to the overall feel of the ball, its hardness, ease of spinning, and ease of control. Touch can be a matter of personal preference but you should always pick a solid-feeling ball that you can control easily. Another note on touch is that indoor balls are generally softer than outdoor balls. They’re also generally easier to control.
We’ve done the research and read hundreds of customer reviews to bring you our curated list of the top 10 pickleball balls to help you out!
Our Top 10 Pickleball Balls: a Deep Dive
#1: Onix Pure 2 Outdoor Pickleballs (Editors Choice!)
The Onix Pure 2 Outdoor Pickleball Balls are designed to withstand and resist extreme winds in outdoor play. It is manufactured using a proprietary formula and exclusive material ensures consistency and better control on the court. These balls are als durable and can withstand aggressive play.
- Weighs heavier than other balls which means it can fly straighter when used in extreme outdoor conditions
- Exceptional seam welding ensures that this ball is resistant to splitting
- Has strategically aligned and precision-drilled holes for superior ball balance
- Uses Authentic Bounce Technology for consistent bounce shot after shot
- Its two-piece symmetrical construction ensures that the ball maintains its shape for a long while
Customers can’t help but rave about the Onix Pure 2 Outdoor Pickleball Balls. They enjoy the solid feel of these balls and the level of control these provide. These also tend to last longer since than the average pickleball.
#2: TOP Ball Outdoor Pickleball Balls
If you’re looking for durable balls that can withstand aggressive play then the TOP Ball is for you. It has all the qualities you love from an outdoor ball–it is durable, it is seamless, and it’s made from hard plastic. These are manufactures using injection molding technology which results in a sturdy uni-body design.
- Rotationally molded which means there are no seams that can crack
- Features a patented hold pattern that results in truest flight
- Made with an optimized mix of plastics resulting in a durable poly ball that flies straight with an even bounce
- Tested and approved by the USAPA for tournament play
- Has a consistent wall thickness
Rated at 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon, players who’ve purchased the TOP Ball find these durable and well-made. Customers also find that they have excellent control over these balls during play. Moreover, these balls have great and consistent bounce making them a joy to use on the court.
#3: Gamma Sports Photon Indoor Pickleballs
The Gamma Sports Photon Indoor Pickleballs are known for its high visibility on the court thanks to its stand out neon green shade. These bright and durable balls are engineered for true flight and consistent bounce. The are also made for long-lasting play so you can perfect your moves with this ball.
- Indoor ball with 26 holes for consistent, stable and accurate flight
- Ultra-balanced two-piece construction for a true, consistent bounce on all types of indoor surfacesive bullet points about the features of this product.
- USAPA approved for sanctioned tournament play
- Optic green color makes it highly visible for better tracking and ball accuracy
- Designed for a lively and consistent bounce on all indoor surfaces
Customers find that the Gamma Sports Photon Indoor Pickleballs have a nice feel when hit with the paddle thanks to its hardness. It also has outstanding visibility so they can track the ball easily when in the gym. Moreover, players find that these balls are light and bouncy which makes them a joy to play with.
#4: EasyTime Indoor and Outdoor Pickleball Balls
The EasyTime Indoor and Outdoor Pickleballs are high performance balls that promise to fly true, straight, and fast. They are known for their lively bounce and mid-range hardness making them enjoyable to use for practice and for matches. These USAPA approved balls combines construction, size, weight, and bounce for a well-balanced ball.
- Weighs 0.89 oz which is ideal for all skill levels
- Uses exceptional seam welding technology for durability and splitting resistance
- Made with PE and EVA material for a perfect bounce
- Indoor balls has 26 precisely-drilled hold so they fly at the right pace for indoor play
- Outdoor balls have 60 precision drilled holes for minimized wind resistance, balance, and straight flight
Players who’ve bought the EasyTime Indoor and Outdoor Pickleballs are generally satisfied with the excellent value these balls provide. They are resistant to wear and tear and are made from durable materials. They also love the high visibility of these balls on the court
#5: JUGS Sports Indoor Pickleball Balls
If you’re looking for excellent pickleball balls for indoor use then the Jugs Pickleballs are for you. These soft plastic balls perform well on smooth hardwood, tile, or cement court surfaces. These balls also have fantastic bounce making them a favorite among recreational players.
- Bright green color makes the ball visible even in low light conditions
- Its softer and more rubberized construction allows for better beginner play
- The balls measure 2.875 in. in diameter and weigh only 0.81 oz.
- Has a slightly textured surface offers fantastic bounce on the court
- Requires no conditioning for recreational play
The Jugs Pickleballs are a solid crowd pleaser thanks to its performance on the court. They generally held up very well to lots of hard play. Players also enjoy the bounce that these balls have.
#6: Tourna Strike Outdoor Pickleballs
The Tourna Strike Outdoor Pickleballs are specially optimized for outdoor play. Its bright yellow color allows for high visibility while its balanced constructions combines weight, size, and design. These balls are also approved by the USAPA/IFP for tournament use.
- Has a diameter of 74mm and weight 24.5 grams is ideal for all skill levels
- Features a lively bounce with mid-range hardness for an all-around true and fun feel
- High visibility optic yellow color
- 40 small precisely drilled holes designed to minimize wind interference and to create a balanced and straight flight pattern
- Solid construction with perfect durability
Customers are generally pleased with the Tourna Strike Outdoor Pickleballs especially for drills and practice play. These balls tend to respond will when hit with the paddle. Players also tend to agree that these balls are durable and can withstand multiple practice sessions.
#7: Midnight Indoor Pickleball
If you’re looking for a darker colored ball for indoor use then the Midnight Indoor Pickleball
is for you. Despite being dyed a darker color, these balls still perform well on the court. They have a textured surface that adds a fun bounce and great performance when used on the court.
- Dark-colored balls offer high visibility in indoor settings
- Soft and slightly textured surface
- Bounces well on cement court surfaces
- These are lightweight so they have excellent pop
- Has an average bounce height of 37 in.
Players agree that theMidnight Indoor Pickleball are perfect for indoor gyms with lighting conditions that are less than favorable for light-colored balls. They also found that these balls had good bounce on the flooring of indoor gyms. However, these do tend to bleed its color into paddles.
#8: Dura Fast 40 Outdoor Pickleballs
The Dura Fast 40 Pickleballs are designed for outdoor use. They can stand against windy weather conditions so you can be sure that these balls will straight no matter what. These are truly high performance balls made for heavy hitters.
- Features a patented 40-hole design for optimal performance in outdoor settings and windy conditions
- Approved for tournament play by the USAPA/IFP
- Rotationally molded as one-piece
- Engineered for hard-court play
- Built to perform and fly true, straight, and fast
Customers are pleased with the fact that the Dura Fast 40 Pickleballs fair well under windy weather conditions. They also hold up well against aggressive play. However, they also find that these ten to break easily, often lasting three to four games only.
#9: Crown Sporting Goods Pickleballs
The Crown Sporting Goods Pickleballs are perfect for full games, training exercises, and practice sessions. These Pickleball balls hold more weight than indoor balls to keep each volley as accurate as possible. They also offer high visibility thanks to its unique color.
- Unique goldenrod yellow color for increased visibility on virtually any outdoor court
- Weather weighted, reduces effects of high winds and improves accuracy of volleys
- Has a durable build quality that avoids the usual splits and cracks
- Comes with the standard 40 hole pattern.
- 75 mm in size and one oz. in weight
Customers like the Crown Sporting Goods Pickleballs especially for practice sessions. They also find that these balls are bouncy and provide quick service. In addition, folks who’ve tried these balls find that they last reasonably well.
#10: JIUFENTIAN Pickleball Balls
If you’re looking for balls with high visibility then the JJIUFENTIAN Pickleball Balls are for you. These balls are professionally balanced for reliable and consistent performance every single time. With these pickleball balls, you can concentrate on playing your best without worrying about anything else.
- Weighs 0.92 oz. which helps the ball fly straight even in windy conditions
- Made from high quality PE materials
- Seams are welded for greater durability and crack resistance
- Optic yellow color makes it visible against dark and light backdrops
- Has thick walls making them durable
Customers who’ve purchased the JIUFENTIAN Pickleball Balls find them to be of great value for money. They are durable and can withstand outdoor conditions. They also enjoy the fact that they can see the ball easily on the court.
Choosing the right ball for your pickleball games shouldn’t be such a nightmare if you’re a beginner. You only need to ensure that you look for features that make for a great ball. Factors such as durability and build should be your main priority since they guarantee that the ball will last longer than one practice session or match. The ball you choose should also feel solid and easy to control while giving you consistent results on the court.
Based on our research, we recommend the Onix Pure 2 Outdoor Pickleball Balls. These aren’t only perfectly suited for outdoor play but they are also durable and consistent. These balls also are also able to maintain their shape for a long while. In addition, it is also manufactured using advanced seam welding technology so these are split resistant too.