Pickleball is derived from paddle sports like badminton, tennis, and table tennis. The game is slowly evolving and growing internationally as well, with many European and Asian countries adding courts. For the apparel, players can wear anything comfortable and appropriate for the climate like athletic shorts, sweatpants, jerseys, or t-shirts. Wearing the proper court shoes is a must.
Running shoes or sneakers do not provide the right kind of support for side-to-side action necessary for pickleball. Proper shoes enhance the player’s performance and most importantly, protect the player from injury.
When shopping for a pair of pickleball shoes, you’ll want to be sure to keep an eye out on these crucial features: Durability: The product’s durability must extend to all parts of the set: paddle, net, and balls. You would be using this equipment for low to medium intensity exercises and games which requires frequent use.
- The Upper
This part of the shoe should provide you with full stability, or else you could face serious injuries. Synthetic leather is an excellent material for the upper. It’s stable, doesn’t soften or peel over time, unlike leather it is relatively cheaper.
- The Midsole
The best way to find a good midsole is to fit the shoe. Make sure it has a decent arch, and the mid-portion is about of the right width to support the shape of your foot. The midsole is more often based on your personal preference.
- The Outsole
Make sure the outsole is non-marking, meaning they won’t leave skid marks when you swerve a turn on the court. Durability for the outsole isn’t much of a problem since Pickleball courts are made textured with smooth and rounded non-aggressive silica sand, providing a slip-free surface. The quality of the insole is essential though if you don’t want your back and knees to start aching early.
We’ve done our research and read hundreds of customer reviews to bring you our curated list of the top 10 Pickleball Shoes.
Our Top 10 Shoes for Pickleball: A Deep Dive
#1: ASICS Women’s Gel-Rocket 8 Volleyball Shoe (Editor’s Choice!)
Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars is Amazon’s Best Seller ASICS. The Gel-Rocket series has always been a longtime favorite of professional players. It’s a top-level shoe for an entry-level price that comes in a variety of colors.
- It has an impressive forefoot GEL Cushioning System that attenuates shock during impact phase.
- The stabilizing Trusstic System Technology reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
- It has gum rubber on the outsole for enhancement of traction.
- The shaft measures approximately low-top from arch providing an exceptional fit.
- It weighs only 9.4 oz.
Reviews approve of the ASICS being exceptionally comfortable with a good grip on the court. The exceptional fit has been commended as well, along with the Gel Cushioning System that softens shocks during jumps. Some customers say they’ve had it for four to five years with still the same quality when first bought.Check Current Price
#2: Mizuno Women’s Wave Lightning Z3 Volleyball Shoe
Now offered in a low-cut model, the Mizuno has been upgraded with a better fit to make you feel those ankle supports during your quick side to side movements. This shoe is ideal for pin hitters and setters that make smart moves around the court.
- It has a non-marking outsole, saving you from making skid marks on the court.
- It has Dynamotion Fit allowing you to move freely.
- It’s Dura Shield is updated for better durability.
- It’s equipped with Mizuno Intercool that prevents your feet from absorbing too much heat.
- The Anatomical Cup-insole that leaves a memory print once worn.
A lot of customers are satisfied with the Mizuno, especially with the number of designs and styles, along with its durability. Reviews also mention of how the product size it is smaller than the actual shoe size, making it undoubtedly tight to wear.
#3: Prince Women’s T22 Tennis Shoe
The new Prince is a favorite amongst intermediate club players. The shoe naturally blends comfort, durability, and support in a medium width shoe. The added breathability makes for a serious competitor on the courts.
- It has a rubber sole for that added grip strength.
- The outsole is PRC 1000, which provides unmatched durability.
- It has a wishbone shank for increased midfoot stability.
- Its breathability allows air to flow inside the show, reducing heat.
- It is 100% synthetic and mesh, making it more stable.
What people love about the Prince is its wide toe-box, allowing the toes to move freely without feeling cramped. Arch support is excellent, as well. However, the ankle supports rub against the ankle, making it painful and uncomfortable to wear.
#4: Mizuno Women’s Wave Hurricane 2 Volleyball Shoe
The Mizuno is featuring the parallel wave plate. This creates the lateral stability needed for quick movements during court play. Its durability without question, this affordable shoe is ideal for singles or team use during both practices and games.
- The Parallel Wave Technology evenly disperses shock throughout the sole.
- It has a Dynamotion groove which minimizes forefoot instability.
- The extra grade rubber provides high traction grip to the floor.
- It’s made with air mesh fabric that releases moisture, allowing for cooling.
- The AP+ Midsole gives increased rebound properties and improved recovery speed
Reviews say that the Mizuno is surprisingly affordable despite the high quality. People love the comfort and the traction the shoe provides. A little problem with the accuracy of the sizes, but overall, the shoe is perfect for Pickleball.Check Current Price
#5: ASICS Women’s Gel 1150V Volleyball Shoe
Not only is the ASICS for indoor sports, but it can also be used for running or walking. With comfortable pads and cushions, it provides safety and security for your foot and ankle during vigorous practices. This shoe has been regarded as an excellent choice for a return of investment.
- It’s powered with the PGuard Toe Protector technology that provides durability to a great extent.
- It has tongue and collar embedded with foam for the ultimate comfort of toes and foot.
- It’s perfectly compatible with multi-plane movement, thus giving your foot the needed flexibility.
- The sole is adequately ventilated, allowing air passage for your toes to breathe.
- The gel cushion technology allows your legs to work for long hours without feeling fatigued.
People were ecstatic at the affordable price and high quality of the ASICS. It’s an excellent choice for beginners with six different styles. Although, some people complain about how the arch support doesn’t work correctly and how shoe space is too narrow.
#6: Head Men’s Speed Pro Lite Indoor Low Shoe
Head has introduced the popular Head with features adapted for squash, racquetball and badminton play. It features a new upper material to increase longevity. Has incredible benefits that assure outstanding stability and motion control for better maneuverability.
- It has a Flexible TPU shell for the upper for the ultimate stability and durability.
- Head’s cooling system provides state-of-the-art moisture management technology.
- The padded mesh heel collar provides a step in the comfort that lasts.
- CXG technology guarantees shock absorption for less foot fatigue.
- It has comfort grid cushioning technology that consists of a unique interlocking coil structure.
Frequent reviews say how the Head fit is precisely right with a wide toe box and amazing grip on the court. What they didn’t like is how depth in the heel area is too shallow. It’s also heavier than most pickleball shoes.Check Current Price
#7: K-Swiss Women’s Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe
The K-Swiss is a lightweight tennis shoe designed for performance and comfort. It has well-padded ankle support for injury prevention. The quality creates a sneaker designed for unsurpassed durability and performance on any surface.
- The upper is built with Seamfree technology that bonds layers of TPU onto breathable tech mesh for flexible support.
- It has an ankle collar that provides additional stability.
- Its die-cut EVA sock liner adds responsive cushioning underfoot.
- The outsole is made with Aosta II high-density rubber and features a herringbone tread.
- It’s designed with a lace closure for an adjustable fit.
The K-Swiss are regarded for excellent arch support and broader foot space for those with big feet. Also, customers loved the variety of colors for choosing. However, it may seem a bit roomy for those with narrow feet.Check Current Price
#8: Mizuno Men’s Wave Bolt 6 Volleyball Shoes
Improved with lateral stability for quick movements, the Mizuno provides everything you need for a job well done in the heat of a big game. It’s equipped with a structural element on the upper’s sides that adds support when worn, making you feel your shoe lock-in when you move from side-to-side.
- It has a Sensor Point suspension system that increases stability and traction.
- Intercool technology increases ventilation to prevent overheating.
- The DynaMotion Groove provides flexible support.
- It has a Dura Shield toe guard for added durability
- The shaft has a significant measure of approximately low-top from arch for comfort
Reviews mention of the explicit shoe design and how Mizuno is surprisingly lightweight. 75% also say the sizes were correct and that it had good traction. Although, it’s durability is questionable as some mentioned there were a couple of loose threads after a few uses.Check Current Price
#9: New Balance Men’s Mx623v3 Training Shoe
Redesigned for maximum comfort, the New is reinforced with collar foam and a larger Absorb heel capsule. It has an essential quality insole that prevents your back and knees from hurting early.
- It has EVA foam footbed for cushioning
- The Absorb heel capsule cradles your foot while offering reliable versatility.
- It has an internal shank for added support.
- It has IMEVA midsole for firm yet flexible cushioning
- It’s eligible for Medicare reimbursement
Reviews applaud of the New comfort and durability. From years of hard wear, the shoes don’t look that much at all worn out. A few customers complain of not having much arch support.
#10: Azooken Men’s Lightweight Lace Up Shoe
The is highly fashionable and durable. Its sleek design isn’t only for casual use, but it can also be used for various sports like tennis and pickleball. The material used is to provide safe environmental protection.
- It has a breathable mesh that cools your feet down.
- It’s incredibly lightweight, weighing only 400g.
- The soles absorb shock and excellent grip in wet and dry environments.
- It has an elastic sole that spreads impact evenly.
- The breathable lining gives exceptional support.
The comfort and fantastic design of the is commended the most. It’s dual-use – casual and sports – have made people appreciate it more. It’s stretchable and can be worn without untying the laces, making it very functional.
Whether you’re an entry-level player or a seasoned veteran, you should always keep in mind that proper shoes are of vital importance in playing pickleball, not to mention that they also enhance your game performance. Saving yourself from spending on appropriate shoes will not, however, protect you from unwanted accidents and medical costs.
ASICS is the perfect pair, to begin with. Not only does it attract professional players, but they’re also a significant investment that will save you the hassle and cost of repurchasing new shoes. So, get one at Amazon now and experience the comfort of these extraordinary shoes!